Thursday, March 12, 2009

11. Do your work, then forget it.

From Zenaida in Baltimore:

All of us have ‘work’ to do – from the infant who struggles to grow into a toddler to the elderly person who struggles to end earthly life with grace. The work known as “labor” is given by God to humankind as a result of the Fall. It is partly through our work that we struggle to live our lives in repentance and holiness as we journey toward our eternal life. So, “work” is important. We are called to offer it to God. And, it can be a powerful means of intercession.

However, once it is done, it is important that we forget it. We are to think no more about it. The main reason for this is that we are called continually to live in the PRESENT MOMENT. We are not to dwell on the past. In regard to work, we are not to carry it with us after it is accomplished. We are not to ‘bring it home’ to our mind, heart, soul, or spirit. We are not to worry about it or be proud of it. “We are unprofitable servants.” We have simply done that which it is our duty to do.

2 comments:

Michele Mulder said...

This is so good Zenaida. I struggle with this one because my work is my home. Sometimes I allow my work to interfere with that tender moment when I do have time to give that extra hug that my Nicholas ALWAYS needs (bless his heart). My heart aches but rejoices that this Lent so far has been very difficult for me. I can feel my body being very weak from lack of protein, exhaustion from being at church almost every night and all the other things that are waiting to be accomplished. I get so excited to go to church during this great time of Lent but do you know that even last night I struggled all during Pre-sanctified Liturgy however I will not tell you why because I am praying St. Ephraim's prayer very diligently every day. I could feel satan tempting me with every minute. By the end, I was exhausted mentally and physically. Anyway, I ask for prayers as I am such a sinner and will continue to pray for my unknown friends who read this blog.

Anonymous said...

This note came a time when I was getting weary of my work. Thanks for reminding me that the work we do is all for God's glory. The work at hand needs to be done, I'll get back to it now. But with joy this time.

The Forty Maxims

  • 1. Be always with Christ and trust God in everything.
  • 2. Pray, fast and do acts of mercy.
  • 3. Read the Scriptures regularly.
  • 4. Read good books, a little at a time.
  • 5. Practice silence, inner and outer.
  • 6. Cultivate communion with the saints.
  • 7. Be an ordinary person, one of the human race.
  • 8. Live a day, even a part of a day, at a time.
  • 9. Be honest, first of all with yourself.
  • 10. Be faithful in little things.
  • 11. Do your work, then forget it.
  • 12. Do the most difficult and painful things first.
  • 13. Face reality.
  • 14. Be grateful.
  • 15. Be cheerful.
  • 16. Be simple, hidden, quiet and small.
  • 17. Never bring unnecessary attention to yourself.
  • 18. Listen when people talk to you.
  • 19. Be awake and attentive, fully present where you are.
  • 20. Think and talk about things no more than necessary.
  • 21. Speak simply, clearly, firmly, directly.
  • 22. Flee imagination, fantasy, analysis.
  • 23. Flee carnal things at their first appearance.
  • 24. Don’t complain, grumble, murmur or whine.
  • 25. Don’t seek or expect pity or praise.
  • 26. Don’t compare yourself with anyone.
  • 27. Don’t judge anyone for anything.
  • 28. Don’t try to convince anyone of anything.
  • 29. Don’t defend or justify yourself.
  • 30. Be defined and bound by God, not people.
  • 31. Accept criticism gracefully and test it carefully.
  • 32. Give advice only when asked or when it is your duty.
  • 33. Be strict with yourself.
  • 34. Be merciful with yourself and others.
  • 35. Do nothing for people that they can do for themselves.
  • 36. Have a healthy, wholesome hobby.
  • 37. Have no expectations except to be fiercely tempted to your last breath.
  • 38. Endure the trial of yourself and your faults serenely, under God’s mercy.
  • 39. When you fall, get up immediately and start over.
  • 40. Get help when you need it, without fear or shame.